Author Topic: Tin Can Alley & more  (Read 3314 times)

tortuga

• View Profile
Tin Can Alley & more
« on: March 19, 2015, 11:26:22 PM »

Sorry Chuck, this ain't isn't about you.

It's about me! Me and the folks in the southern part of the state. Manly men, riding their iron ponies in the desert and eating stuff. Strange stuff.

tortuga

• View Profile
Re: Tin Can Alley & more
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »
A big thanks to rimtrail105 and buls4evr for being the hosts for my March 2015 trip to the south.

The first ride was a sandwich run up to Silver City. No video for that.
On the second day I met up with Jeff and his friend from Iowa, Kelly. Jeff got tied up so Kelly and I took off for a ride around the Florida's. Before leaving, Jeff gave me a highly detailed map and gave a bunch of verbal instructions that I quickly forgot. Something about left, left, left, left, gate, right, fence, left and so on. Like I'm going to remember that.

Kelly showed me a road that went to the top of the Florida to the radio tower which gave a great view of the area. After that we went on the usual route along the east side of the Florida?s until we reached Columbus. Had a long lunch in Palomas and watched the rain come down. A lot of rain came down so we took  the highway back to Deming. 

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 08:50:31 PM by tortuga »

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 07:30:55 AM »
Wednesday was gloomy. I was hoping to ride the Little Hatchet's but heavy cloud cover and soggy trails killed any opportunity to ride so I headed east to Alamogordo and pulled into good ol' Oliver Lee state park around 3pm. I wandered around Dog Canyon and did a little bike maintenance and enjoyed the great weather.

Mortar holes

Dog Caynon

Another shot of Dog Canyon. That thin line along the left side of the canyon is a rock wall that a gentleman by the name of Francois Jean Rochas, aka, Frenchy constructed.

Frenchy's cabin

Spring has sprung in Dog Canyon

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:17:28 PM »

On Thursday I met up with Jimmy and we did a fun bit of exploring around the Jarilla mountains outside Orogrande. A lot of mining activity back in the day and even some currently happening.     

We stopped at an old building Jimmy calls ?tin-can alley?. Not sure what the original role of this place was back in the old mining days and some maps refer to this as the Mannie Baird Assay Office -  it is filled with rusted tin cans of various ages ? crazy.

Later, we stopped at the site of the old Brice cemetery. Not much to see here because the graves were relocated somewhere else.  There's a shot of that in the video.
The route back was through the hills and in some spots ATV's had loosened up the rocks making for wild riding. 

Stopped for lunch. Jimmy likes fish.

Solitude. And did I mention the weather was great?

After the Jarilla's we entered the Red Sands OHV area and worked our way northward.

Juanride

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:20:50 AM »
Yes indeed, the weather looks nice and the trails inviting.  Great job on the video and pics!
2014 KLR650

rimtrail105

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:09:36 AM »
Yes. Great fun in the desert that day. Good trails,good weather,good ridin bud ,good blue cycles,good lunch break. Lot more fun than doin movin and house chores. I needed a break. Very good videos of different type of terrain. Let's do it again.
Rt105
rimtrail105

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
One of these days I've got to explore that area...I never have.

Nice to see it in pics and vids.
2014 WR450F - Plated

buls4evr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 08:13:13 AM »
   Whew.... for a minute there I thought Jimmie was eating big tins of OYSTERS and that Tortuga might be in danger.

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
And last but not least, a bit of wandering around on foot.

One of these days I'm going twist Jimmy's arm and have him take me on that Dell City run.  ;D

No real time to do it properly this time around but I'd like to see the Guadalupes on two wheels.

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 07:54:15 PM »
I think that hole is where the illegals come up on the US side.
2014 WR450F - Plated

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 08:35:28 PM »
Branded!

2014 WR450F - Plated

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 07:11:47 PM »
Reminds me of the toilet paper song I heard when I was a kid.