Author Topic: Gila 2015  (Read 3917 times)

tortuga

• View Profile
Gila 2015
« on: August 20, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
Yeah, another Gila ride report in the making.   ;D

Stay tuned ...

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
Re: Gila 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
looking fwd to it...this week and next in Lost Wages.

Wish I could've made it, but alot of travel for work recently.
2014 WR450F - Plated

rimtrail105

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »
Hope u had a great time. Work got in my way again. Sounds funny for a retired guy. Workin again tomorrow.
Rt 105
rimtrail105

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 03:55:36 PM »
Sorry you guys couldn't make it, it was a fun time.
I'm going to put some of the gpx files on dualsportmaps.com if you want to use them. 

The first video is Copper Creek.

We discovered this by accident last year and rode it a bit before turning around - because we didn't know where it went. Well, it goes to hwy 180 a bit east of Alma. The upper section was a bit rocky and I think it would be a lot harder going uphill. You'll see a bit of a video issue part way through the video that is caused by a crack on the lens cover. The camera slid off a log during our lunch and managed to find the only stone on the forest floor.  :( A cheap replacement part but still aggravating.

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
Next on deck was a little warm up ride in the morning. On maps they call this first part Bursum Rd but it must be an older route that existed before the current Bursum. Fun times in the burn scar. :-X

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:21:56 PM »
Thanks for the vids.  Looks like I missed fun times.
2014 WR450F - Plated

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
  Looks like I missed fun times.

We need to plan earlier geo so you can make sure you can go. You would have had a blast.

We averaged about 80 miles a day but it wasn't all about riding. We spent half a day catching miniature trout and eating them for lunch.

We ate really good!

The pseudo sponsor for the evening festivities was ...

Here's another ride we did. A bit of  mellow ride but we stuffed in some other riding in the N Bar Prk area that is in a different video.

rimtrail105

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 07:46:25 AM »
Sorry I missed this. U actually caught fish and a chicken. And looks like u had a open bar. I envious.
Rt105
rimtrail105

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 08:44:24 AM »
I did not know wild chicken existed in the Gila.  Does it have a game like taste?

Trout looks good too!
2014 WR450F - Plated

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 07:51:31 PM »
Open bar, lol. Only Jungle Juice and beer served. Which worked pretty good except on the last evening when I was stumbling around in the dark trying to figure out the bug netting on my hammock. Admiral Nelson was kicking my ass.

We pulled out more stops than normal on this trip and ate much better than the usual fare we typically eat. I brought my Smokey Joe with tamale steamer mod (smoker) so we could roast food and it was fantastic. That chicken didn't stand a chance ;).  Having the extra days sure made the difference. The pressure to just ride all day long, eat, sleep and repeat wasn't there. Relaxing and fun at the same time.

Plus, after all the trips we made, we are getting all the different routes figured out so we're not riding over the same area or backtracking too much. On the typical day we were hitting around 80 miles on the odometer,  a nice mix of trails and connecting roads. I don't have any video of the last part of the last day (dead battery) but the last section we did was a blast. Technically it was listed as a road but just barely qualifying. After 7 miles, I was glad to hit bladed road.

I'm really liking the Gila. Almost no crowds and pretty decent riding. A bit different from my other favorite spot (Sacramentos), where the technical riding is a bit greater. The trails in the Gila are practically being reclaimed by Mother Nature - the trails just disappear for a 100 yards.

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 09:18:24 PM »
Another vid for your viewing pleasure. This is a collection from two days riding the  area around N Bar Park. We've ridden this area the last three years and it's always different. Tons of wild game, hidden rocks and nice scenery keeps you on your toes.

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »
but wait..............................   there's more!!

Battery died before I could get to the more challenging stuff recorded.  Riding around in these parks is fun. The wide angle lens doesn't do this area justice.

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 07:21:54 PM »
Great vids!
2014 WR450F - Plated

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 07:30:34 PM »
Great vids!

Thanks

It's a bit depressing to shoot video of such giant vistas and have a wide angle lens shrink it down nothingness. It just doesn't do it justice. The current cameras seem to content with wide field of vision lenses.  :'(
So, I was looking on the web and found a company that supplies replacement optics ragecams.com and I'm really thinking about ditching the wide angle bull shizz that's so common in all the cameras nowadays. The FOV is can be quite a bit tighter and I think it gives a better representation of the moto experience than all these fish-eye lens crap. 

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 06:16:17 AM »
Are you thinking of a flat field lens?

Some cameras come with a software adjustable FOV right out of box.
2014 WR450F - Plated