Author Topic: Rimtrail 2015  (Read 1655 times)

ditch

• View Profile
Rimtrail 2015
« on: September 27, 2015, 08:31:20 AM »
Thought I would get off my butt and put up a little report on my trip to Cloudcroft September 19. I only rode one day, but it was a good day.
I wanted to check out the two trails on the north side of town, both were short and fun.
T124 has had very little traffic on it, fortunately it is pretty well marked with the blue diamonds. Other than several logs across the trail to hop over it was easy.

T124 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Had a little difficulty finding T5688, but it was fun when I found it (some campers were right on the trail head) and it popped me into the north end of Cloudcroft instead of the Pines Campground, must have missed a turn.

Rode T5002 to T5003 which I guess dead ends, but no signage so I came out on a private drive  ??? and headed to 130, Sunspot highway and jumped on the Rimtrail for a few miles.

Connected with T110 (wonderful side hill trail) down to T109 and continued down, a bit of loose rock in places which kept me on my toes, and attempted going up T111 and ran into this:

T111 by ditch2222, on Flickr

I was getting pooped and tired of fighting my way around wash outs so backtracked out T109 to the west side road(?) T90 on the MVUM and headed south to T235 to get back up to the top. This is Heart Attack Canyon, named appropriately. It seems to go straight up. Thought I was going to have a heart attack by the time I got to the top. My worn out MT43 wasn't the tire of  choice on this ATV trail. Needed something with side bite to stay out of the rut in the middle.

Top of Heart Attack Canyon by ditch2222, on Flickr

I thought I was pooped before, but after that I was done in so headed out to the Sunspot highway and back to the cabin.
For a future trip I would like to go down T111 just to check it out. Great day of riding single track  ;)

The next day I didn't ride, but tooled around the country looking at elk with the wife (saw several nice bulls) and stopped by Bluff Spring which was running nicely.
The falls
Falls at Bluff Spring by ditch2222, on Flickr

The spring, always thought these were cool.
Bluff Spring by ditch2222, on Flickr

Happy Trails!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:51:32 AM by ditch »

tortuga

• View Profile
Re: Rimtrail 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:12:25 AM »
Looks like the leaves haven't quite turned when you were there.
T111 was an eroded mess.