Author Topic: another trip to Moab  (Read 1785 times)

ditch

• View Profile
another trip to Moab
« on: November 21, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »
Went to Moab in November for a weekend and had a great time, weather was awesome. A bit cool for extended road rides, but once in the dirt I warmed up plenty. Got two days of riding in.

Day one I went south on Kane Creek looped back on Behind the Rocks to Pritchett Canyon.

I have a picture of my old Husky 610 near this same spot from a few years ago.

IMGP0653 by ditch2222, on Flickr

IMGP0652 by ditch2222, on Flickr

A little snow in the shade.

IMGP0654 by ditch2222, on Flickr

The jeep route, which I skipped. There is an ATV bypass, the first time I've ridden it. It also has some tricky spots.

IMGP0657 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Start of ATV bypass

IMGP0656 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Arch along Behind the Rocks, not sure of the name.

IMGP0659 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Pritchett natural bridge.

IMGP0660 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Pritchett canyon is a bit tough, which is why I went down it. At this ledge I didn't try to ride it, being on my own. Doesn't look to bad in the photo. I picked the bike up one end at a time to get up. I also walk the bike down some places where I would probably not think twice about riding if I had someone to pick me up if I crash.

IMGP0664 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Day two I headed out to where the Sovereign trail is. Part of this is ATV, some single track, plus there are some other single track there. Some of it is quite the challenge. I kept crisscrossing a couple of other bikes and wound up riding with them a bit, then I split off and came across a large group I had seen the day before coming out of Pritchett canyon so I followed them a bit, too. All of them are far better riders than I am. Some of the pictures have them in the back ground.

A tight down hill.
Pt. I
 IMGP0670 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Pt. II
IMGP0671 by ditch2222, on Flickr

A cool creek (not much water) bottom ride out. Up the rock, sharp left U-turn followed by a sharp right U-turn immediately up a rock ledge. Fun stuff and no I didn't clean it.

IMGP0674 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Rock triangle the trail goes through, should have got a picture from the other side, much better light.

IMGP0675 by ditch2222, on Flickr

The squeeze spot everyone photos, it is TIGHT. I could barely get my knees through. It took a bit of contorting.

IMGP0676 by ditch2222, on Flickr

One of the easier uphill climbs.

IMGP0672 by ditch2222, on Flickr

I dumped it on this downhill. Too much front brake and hit a rock, bringing the rear up on me. Pinned me for minute until I could get my foot out from under the bike, more great fun!

IMGP0673 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Can't hardly pick the trail out of this one, another tight downhill.

IMGP0667 by ditch2222, on Flickr

All in all another great trip to Moab for me, didn't get hurt and didn't break anything (new scratches don't count).

AtomicGeo has some video floating around here for Sovereign for those interested.

Wendell

tortuga

• View Profile
Re: another trip to Moab
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:33:29 AM »
Nice.

Where's your favorite spot to stay in Moab?

ditch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 07:51:03 PM »
We stayed at the Inca Inn on the north end of town. Basic motel with outside doors. Great people running it and affordable. No hot tub and the pool is currently out of service, it was working last time we stayed there. The manager said they had quotes out for repairs and he was pushing the owner to install a hot tub. Just your basic continental breakfast, but a restaurant is next door with others in easy walking distance.
I like the feel of decent small motels. This one also has extra parking behind it if you were to have a trailer, the inner courtyard parking can get cramped for big vehicles.
If you are into it they have Starbucks coffee available in the lobby full time, but no coffee makers in the rooms. They do have microwaves and mini refrigerators.

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »
The rates look pretty good.