Author Topic: NM Boondocker's stable  (Read 3134 times)

New Mexico Boondocker

• View Profile
NM Boondocker's stable
« on: February 01, 2016, 07:17:37 AM »
Howdy to all my fellow NM riders!  I recently moved up to Los Alamos and learned about this site after speaking with Atomic Geo.  Prior to LA, I lived in the East Mountains near Edgewood for a couple of years. I don't have as much riding experience as most on here since I only got back into riding in late Oct 2014.  Prior to that, I owned a Yamaha Radian for a short stint over 20 years ago where I basically put no miles on the bike.  As a teen, I had some fun times on friends' dirt bikes but never owned one myself.  Most of my off road experience comes from building rock crawlers, Jeeps, ATVs, RZR's and backcountry snowmobiling.   

In late Oct 2014, I bought a 2014 KTM 500 XC-W and got it plated.  I put about 1500 miles on it last year riding Cedro and the Colorado mountains.

I added some additional light this fall. 

In Feb 2015, I purchased a 2010 990 Adventure with about 1500 miles on it.  What an awesome machine.  I put a bunch of miles on it this past year.

However, in a fit of bike ADHD, I decided to sell it after a cross country solo trip where I rode slab, dirt and had some fun playing in the trails of SD and WY.  I wanted to buy one of the new Indians after I saw them around Sturgis and then rode a few at the ABQ dealer.  After much back and forth this fall and winter (isn't that what bike ADHD is all about?) I found a good deal on a leftover 2013 Super Tenere.  I know it's not an Indian but it was also a fraction of the cost! 

On Friday I couldn't resist having a bike with .1 of a mile on it in the garage so I immediately took it on a break in ride over to Jemez Springs via the Caldera.  It was a little cold with some snow in spots but overall a pretty nice ride. 

I have a bunch of parts ready to install on the S10 to get it ready for this year's riding adventures. Who knows where my bike ADHD will take me this year! 

See you on the trails!

tortuga

• View Profile
Re: NM Boondocker's stable
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »
Welcome to the site Boondocker. Nice Yammy.

buls4evr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 07:04:51 AM »
    Yo Boondocker....Way down here in Deming. Where it has been 70 already and we have plenty of nice farm roads and gravel to ride on ADV bikes. Snow is up on the mountain tops, not on the roadway.Welcome to the forum and watch The Shoutbox.

buls4evr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 07:07:51 AM »
   When you wear out those S-10 stock tires take a look at Mitas E-07s. They are my new favorites for ADV. They sell them at Revzilla now.

New Mexico Boondocker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion on the E-07's.  I used Mefo Super Explorers on the rear of the 990A and a 606 up front.  I wondered about the S10 and what might be a good fit.  I don't think my stock street tires will cut it in the spring mud down some of these roads!

buls4evr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:03 AM »
   A KTM 990 and Spring mud? EEK...   You must be one really large, strong , young dude.Sounds more like a job for the EXC500.

buls4evr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
   We feel fortunate when there is any moisture in the soil down here to keep the dust down. Should be perfect on Friday,Sat. Just 2 different states weatherwise, North and South.