Author Topic: 2016 Utah Backcountry Dual Sport Ride Report  (Read 5045 times)

tortuga

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Utah Backcountry Dual Sport Ride Report
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 08:01:29 PM »
That was a mess of rocks on the last part of the video. Glad you made it through without any incidents. Your video is looking really good, especially Casto Cyn. I'm guessing that was your Sony camera? What was your frame rate - 60?

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 09:11:50 PM »
That was a mess of rocks on the last part of the video. Glad you made it through without any incidents. Your video is looking really good, especially Casto Cyn. I'm guessing that was your Sony camera? What was your frame rate - 60?

Yep, Sony will do 120 fps at 1080p, but I recorded Casto at 60 fps.
2014 WR450F - Plated

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
Day 4 - 2016 Utah Backcountry Dual Sport Ride Report - Back to Hanksville
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 09:13:11 PM »
DAY 4 (Final Day)

Ok, so after some great Utah riding, Friday May 20th came too soon.  After the fix that Tortuga (Jeffie MacGyver) did to his exhaust, we talked and decided it was too risky to go off riding the forests with the possibility of having his exhaust fall off again.

So, the night before we decided to change our route for the final day back to Hanksville.  We also were given a not so good outlook on the weather.  Tortuga decide it was best for him to slab all the way back from Tropic to Hanksville going northeast on Hwy12 to Torrey and then east on Hwy24 to Hanksville.  I on the other hand, still had plenty of offroad riding desire.

On Friday morn, I slabbed to Escalante and decided to ride what I missed the Tuesday before: Hell's Backbone.  That would at least give me some offroad riding from Escalante to Boulder via Hell's Backbone.  Tortuga planned to slab all the way to Boulder to meet me when I popped out from the dirt section.

This video is Hell's Backbone.  I was glad I rode it.  It was easy, and I got to see a spectacular canyon linked by Hell's Backbone Bridge:

looking to the right:

looking to the left:

If you are either in Escalante or Boulder, don't miss riding Hell's Backbone.  ;)

After Hell's Backbone, I met Tortuga in Boulder, and we both slabbed it over Boulder Mountain on Hwy 12 all the way to Torrey.  At that point Tortuga continued on to Hanksville east on Hwy 24.  It's a beautiful high mountain ride from Boulder then dropping down to Torrey, but it had gotten really windy, so I missed out on some great pic opportunities.

As Tortuga headed off to Hanksville on Hwy24 goinf thru Capitol Reef National Park,   I did the same, but offroad.  I unknowingly decided to take RideFreak's route over the mountain behind Torrey on my way to Cathedral Valley.  It's a rock bitch trail.  :o It's rocky....did I say it's rocky:

The Torrey trail is an ATV Great Western Trail.  I was by myself so I didn't want to fall and 'eff up myself, my bike or get stranded.  Up on high I had to walk the bike because it over heated.

The Torrey ATV trail drops down into Cathedral Valley Rd which later on becomes Caineville Wash Rd.  I had to be careful with my recording memory, but I just had enough to catch one last vid in Cathedral Valley and Caineville Wash Rd:

By the time I got to Cathedral Valley I was ready to call my 2016 Utah ride  done.  Caineville Wash Rd hits Hwy24 twenty-something miles east of Torrey.  Once I got back on to Hwy24 I then slabbed the rest of the way back to Hanksville to complete my trip.

On Friday May20th I logged 228 miles.  That was the longest day, but I finished satisfied and happy to have completed such a great ride.  No issues with my '14 WR450.  :clap  I made it into Hanksville about 5PM on Friday and the total trip mileage was 688 miles.

Thanks to Tortuga as well for joining me on this adventure.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:21:09 PM by AtomicGeo »
2014 WR450F - Plated

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 06:37:51 PM »
It was fun geo, and thanks.
You did a great job wrangling all the details of the ride to make it what it is. It was nice just showing up with a scooter and riding. About the toughest choice I had to make was the choice in beer.

BTW, I got a replacement silencer off ebay last week.  :-\ It was a tough choice between a boost in performance or the OEM but who are we kidding here? I like mileage over performance and I "landed up" getting an OEM.
I got a bit preoccupied with some things and my vids got put on hold. After seeing your vids I'm not too sure  they'll add much. Your editing captured the ride perfectly. I will warn you, my intro will be EPIC!

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 07:35:03 AM »
Are you going to post any of your video or pics?
2014 WR450F - Plated

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 09:14:42 AM »
Are you going to post any of your video or pics?

I'm rendering the first one now. Not much different than yours though.

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 03:49:37 PM »

Well, here it is.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:10:38 PM by tortuga »

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 08:15:35 PM »
Hard to believe nearly two months have passed and I'm just getting vids up.
So this one is day 3 which was, IMHO, the best day. Everything seemed to work well. The overall route that geo planned had a lot of variety and it ended with a very nice ride on an ATV trail that meandered through Casto canyon just outside of Panguitch UT.