Author Topic: 2016 Utah Backcountry Dual Sport Ride Report  (Read 5047 times)

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
2016 Utah Backcountry Dual Sport Ride Report
« on: May 22, 2016, 06:08:48 PM »
Here's a pic to kick things off for the report.  It generally describes the time we had.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:30:46 PM by AtomicGeo »

2014 WR450F - Plated

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
Re: 2016 Utah Backcountry Dual Sport Ride Report
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 07:04:49 PM »
Great scenery

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:31:18 PM by AtomicGeo »
2014 WR450F - Plated

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »
Really nice picture geo.

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
Ok....here we go.  On Monday May 16th Tortuga and I made the trip out to our starting point, Hanksville Utah.  After a night at the Whispering Sands Motel, we started on our 700-mile journey on Tuesday May 17th.

Here's Tortuga getting his bike ready in Hanksville:

We saw that the weather was gonna dog us all week.  In the end we dodged several storms and hit some too.

The route from Day 1 was to head SW from Hanksville over the Henry Mountains toward Capitol Reef on Notom Rd and then Bullfrog Rd thru Escalante Staircase National Monument and get us to Escalante where for the end of the first day of riding.

Here's a view of the Henry Mountains from Hanksville (the northeastern side facing southwest).  They don't look menacing, but then again, Tortuga said he saw snow on top.

There are several videos from Day 1. Here's the first video from Day 1 titled "The Impassable Bull Creek Pass".  You'll see why   ;D:

Here are some pics of the near the top of the Henry's at Wickiup Pass

After reaching the deep snow at Bull Creek Pass, our route the the Henry Mountains forced us to backtrack to Wickuiup Pass and take an unplanned southern route around Bull Creek Pass.  Jeffy (aka Tortuga) figured out this work around all by himself.  The route circumvented any large snow drifts, and eventually got us back on the main road (Henry Mtn Road) that leaves the Henry Mtns on the southwestern side.

Here's a pic of where our original route meets up with our detoured route.  We came in from signed roads indicated on the right side of of the pic.  It was a significantly longer route (than the roads indicated on the left of the sign), but we had to get off the mountains before storms were gonna hit up high.

I made  a video of our exit from the Henry Mountains appropriate called, "The Western Exit":

The next video chronicles our final portion of our Day 1 route thru Capitol Reef on Notom Road and then on to Hwy 12 from Boulder to Escalante.  We got soaked on Burr Trail from Notom Rd, thru the Burr Trail switchbacks, thru Escalante Staircase National Monument so I do have any video from that section because  I didn't think a wet lens would do any good recording video.

In any case, after the rain, Hwy 12 provided a very scenic end to our first day's travels.  We were going to do Hell's Backbone along Boulder Mountain, but the rain made it a no-go.  We instead decided to wait till a later day in our trip to come back and to Hell's Backbone.

In the end, we put in 159 miles on Day 1 as we pulled into Escalante.  We were happy to get away unscathed and ready to ride Day 2.  In Escalante we stayed at the Escalante Outfitters Cabins (cheap) and enjoyed the watered down beer and pizza that evening.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:59:37 PM by AtomicGeo »
2014 WR450F - Plated

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »
That first day had a variety of everything. Snow, sand, rain.
I have a 3 day weekend to work on my vids.

ditch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 06:09:50 AM »
That cabin doesn't look big enough for a hammock, did you sleep outside Jethro?

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 07:08:19 AM »
No camping allowed on this trip.
This little cabin had bunks and it was cheap.

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
Day 2 : 2016 Utah Backcountry Dual Sport Ride Report - Thwarted Plans
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 05:28:37 PM »
Day 2

We woke up the morning of Day 2 and had grand plans to hit Smoky Mtn Rd south to Big Water then west on Hwy89 to Cottonwood Canyon Rd to head back northwest to popout on Hwy12 at Cannonville for a short hwy moto to our second night in Tropic.  The entire loop for Day 2 was planned at 168 miles.

Well, let me just say that we were dodging rainy weather the first few days.  In the morning we attempted to do our route and about 25 miles into Smoky Mtn Rd, we hit some really tacky mud, as it had just rained south of Escalante.  We got mud bogged.  Here's the video of our ordeal on Smoky Mtn Rd:

In the end we just had to scrap our plans for our original planned route.  I learned that I should always have a back-up plan.  We decided it was better to turn back to Escalante than to continue mud bogging it.

When we got back to Escalante, instead of doing the simple Hwy 12 west to Tropic, we took up a large part of our day heading over to Hole In The Rock Rd (starts just few miles east of Escalante).  Hole in The Rock Rd is a dirt super hwy and runs southeast towards Lake Powell, and has some spur trails off the main road.  After about 26 miles into Hole In the Rock Rd, we took one of these spur trails called Egypt Trail and had a blast riding the red rock road to an overlook of the Escalante River.  We defintielt felt good about not mud bogging it early to enjoy a dry trail.

Here's a video of our journey on Hole in The Rock Rd and Egypt Trail:

There are some great views at the end of Egypt Trail:

After Egypt Trail we back tracked the full route to Hwy 12 and headed west on the hwy to Tropic for the second night.  We stayed at the Bryce Pioneer Village which was cheaper than any of the motels in Bryce City, and only 8 miles away from Bryce City. Tropic served as our launching point for Day 3 and Day 4.  Here's a pic of the place in Tropic we stayed:

We were in Tropic by about 4:30PM and decided to do some more riding.  We headed over to Cannonville to ride a small section we had missed after our plans were altered, Cottonwood Canyon Rd.  Here are some pics of Cottonwood Canyon Rd area (notice the storms in the background):

Overall, we had a very productive day of Day 2 riding.  In fact, we put more miles in than what was in our original plan.  We logged 191 miles on Day 2.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:38:47 PM by AtomicGeo »
2014 WR450F - Plated

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 09:20:57 PM »
I'm amazed with the quality of pic that phone takes. Great vids too!! ;)

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »
I'm amazed with the quality of pic that phone takes. Great vids too!! ;)

It's the new Samsung Galaxy S7.
2014 WR450F - Plated

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
Day 3 : 2016 Utah Backcountry Dual Sport Ride Report - Ahhhhh
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 08:00:33 PM »
Day 3:

Well, the sun was shinning on us for Day 3.  We started the day in Tropic, and the plan was to end the day in Tropic after putting in 110 miles....a short day of riding with three main legs of offroad trails: Bryce City to Hatch, Hatch to Panguitch, Casto Canyon to Brye City.

From Tropic we headed west to Bryce City on Hwy12 for about 8 miles, then south on Hwy63 to catch The Great Western Trail just south of Bryce City.  The first pit stop was going to be Hatch, UT on .  On the first leg of Day 3 I wasn't expecting much but Tropic Reservoir and Paunsaugunt Trail are awesome.  Here's a vid of the first leg of Day 3:

After the first leg we reach Hatch on Hwy89, and quickly head into the forest on Hatch Mtn Rd. and Pass Creek Trail in the Dixie NF on the way to Hwy143.  Once we reached Hwy143 we did some more dirt on the western side of Hwy143 to go to Panguitch via the backdoor.  The section from Hatch to Panguitch completed on 2nd leg of riding for Day 3.  Here's the video from that section:

I am amazed at the weather/terrain of Utah...so far it's been snow, rain, sun all in the same day marked by desert, pinon, then pine forest, then shades of red rock and hoodoos...

The last leg of Day 3 was from Panguitch to Bryce City thru Casto Canyon.  I can't say enough about how great the section the Casto Canyon is.  It's a must do section for anyone visting the area.  The trail and scenery together make it one of my most favorite trails I've ridden.

Here's some pics of us in Casto Canyon:

This video Casto Canyon is a little long, but it give a good idea of how an atv and moto trail can be shared responsibly:

This is  a pic of our exit point from Casto Canyon back to Bryce City then Tropic to end a great day of Utah riding:

Day 3 we logged 110 miles.

There's an Epilogue to Day3 that must be told, here's  a hint   ;D:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:13:42 PM by AtomicGeo »
2014 WR450F - Plated

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
Day 3 : 2016 Utah Backcountry Dual Sport Ride Report - Epilogue
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 01:40:42 PM »
Day 3 Epilogue

Ok, yesterday I alluded to a Day 3  epilogue having to do with a tail pipe.... 

Anyway, after putting in 110 miles on Day 3, our 3-day total was right around 470 miles. We got back to Tropic about 5PM smiles and patting ourselves on the back that we had not had any "KTM incidents"...you know like wheel bearings, kick stands, drive chains, or anything like even a simple flat.  Everything had gone smooth (outside of the detours due to weather) so far.

So, back at the Bryce Pioneer Village I head over to the store for a Coke to relax after a relatively short riding day...Tortuga, on the other hand, had not had enough.  He wanted to go visit Kodachrome State Park (about 10 miles away), so he takes off while I hang at the Village.

No sooner than 20 mins pass, when this loud ass moto comes into the parking lot with a tail pipe strapped to the back rack....Yep, it was Jeffie's (Tortuga) exhaust.  He goes on to tell me that is just fell off and fell into wash with running muddy water.  ;D

Damn Yammie gave us a "KTM incident"...made us eat our words.  Apparently the main anchor bolt came loose, fell off,  and the exhaust just broke off the main pipe:

With time getting close to closing (6PM) for most stores (and their ain't much in Tropic), Tortuga quickly heads over to the hardware store (thank goodness that there was at least a hardware store) with a muffler patch repair kit, a clamp like pipe coupler, a wire brush, and some determination that he can fix it.

These two videos shows Jeffie Macgyver working the issue with his skills:

The stuff Tortuga bought was epoxy based and required some heat, so better way to cure and test it than running the engine:

After this "fix" the hope was that Tortuga can just make it back to Hanksville (Day 4) w/o being cited for a loud muffler....this was going to have an impact on our plans for Day 4.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:45:03 PM by AtomicGeo »
2014 WR450F - Plated

tortuga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 05:48:04 AM »
Good stuff geo.
Casto Canyon was a really nice ride. Up, down, left, right, all with beautiful scenery to look at.

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 05:36:29 PM »
2014 WR450F - Plated

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 05:48:51 PM »
Another preview:

2014 WR450F - Plated