Author Topic: trials at Roswell  (Read 2227 times)

ditch

• View Profile
trials at Roswell
« on: September 21, 2016, 09:55:54 AM »
For any that are interested a NMTA 2 day trials event will be at the Haystack OHV park Oct. 1 & 2.
I'll be there attempting to stay on the pegs.
Free for spectators.

tortuga

• View Profile
Re: trials at Roswell
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:02:32 PM »
Is this your first time at Haystack?
Awhile back I had this idea in my head about riding my wrr around that OHV so I'm a bit curious how difficult it is. The BLM seems to be leaning towards DIFFICULT but you just never know how they determine that.

ditch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:48:09 PM »
Yes, this will be my first trip. I think it is typical NM stuff with dirt, lot's of sand and rocks scattered every where.
I'll take a few photos and post up when I get back.

ditch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
Finally getting around to an update.
It's an interesting area (especially for trials or atvs) with a fair amount of atv trail, some with a bit of difficulty resulting from the hills to climb, most is pretty easy, typical soft sand when dry.

The entrance off Hwy 70 (mile marker 357) is easy to find, look for the antennaes!

Haystack OHV Entrance by ditch2222, on Flickr

Plenty of this:

Haystack OHV 3 by ditch2222, on Flickr

Some of this:

Haystack OHV 1 by ditch2222, on Flickr

One of the morning sections for the lower classes:

Haystack OHV 2 by ditch2222, on Flickr

NMTrailboss on the section I was scoring Saturday, pretty much a rocky hill climb with some extra gates for the higher levels.

NMTrailboss by ditch2222, on Flickr

It's a cool area to explore, there is a lot I didn't get to see, but really a one day visit will cover it if you're not spending your time riding rocks on a trials bike (great fun!).

For anyone interested there is a vintage trials Oct. 15 and 16 at San Ysidro and an NMTA event there Nov. 6

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 08:35:01 AM »
Interesting...

For me, that's such a haul out there that I'd have to roll it into a loop that included Red Sands and maybe Deming. A nice, cool season trip!

So how did you do, competition wise?

ditch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:48:20 AM »
about mid pack, I suck, but have loads of fun with it. I ALMOST got through Sunday without any 5s, but got in a hurry on my next to last section and dislodged a gate.
Part of my problem is getting in a hurry, the best thing in trials you can do is slow down.