Author Topic: Google Communities  (Read 3641 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Google Communities
« on: October 08, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
Dealing with the company that hosts this web site has me contemplating starting a Google Community with a similar theme as this site, maybe expanding it to a region. I'm not really that familiar with the GC but from what I've been seeing, it seems like it could coexist with this site and possibly replace it down the road. It appears to have all the basic stuff you'd want for discussing rides, posting up trips and general chatter and expanding it to a region could be a benefit, I believe. The traffic on this site has been dwindling down to a trickle and GC would be perfect for small volume content. Being under the Google umbrella might be a good thing for users too instead of trying to deal with the peculiarities that forums sometimes have.
Snooping around, I looked for some comparable sites and didn't see anything that wasn't world oriented, very narrow, or designed to pimp products.

I'd like to hear from people that use GC and can explain the negatives to me.

ditch

• View Profile
Re: Google Communities
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 06:20:26 AM »
I haven't a clue what that is, but whatever works is good enough for me. Do what you think is best Jethro!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 08:29:31 PM »
It shall be done...

Everyone, feel free to play around with the site and experiment with posting and such. I'll prune anything that seems like it was accidental.

https://plus.google.com/communities/102193627257743343305

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 08:23:32 PM »
I think the Google+ community will be a good move. I use it for somethings like following other moto vlogs.
2014 WR450F - Plated

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 06:26:53 PM »
The last time the site crashed, the a-holes that were hosting the site had me a bit worried that the recent content was lost. I probably should shoulder the blame a bit for not backing things up but regardless, there is a lot of effort that people put into their ride reports and such, and to lose it is something I'd like to avoid.  I think with Google there will be more permanence. If Google crashes, grab your bug-out bag!  :P

What would be nice (hint, hint) would be other members to cut and paste their work to the G+ site. I feel like a tool doing it myself.

;)

ditch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 09:34:58 AM »
Try to look into this more after the Rubber Chicken Ride. You get a chance check out the new tracks Mark has on the advrider site for that area. Looks like some explorin' needs to be done (can't say much, though, been spending most of my time with trials)

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:40:12 AM »
Try to look into this more after the Rubber Chicken Ride. You get a chance check out the new tracks Mark has on the advrider site for that area. Looks like some explorin' needs to be done (can't say much, though, been spending most of my time with trials)

There's another DS route that the RCR didn't find....it's one I carved out from TorC down Lost Hills Rd to Hatch along Rio Grande then Rincon up Jornada then thru Palomas.  I think I'll keep this one for the non-RCR riders like me.
2014 WR450F - Plated

ditch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 02:27:05 PM »
You're getting old, George, the memory is going. I was on that ride with you. Not sure what you have against that fundraiser but day one I was in a group of 8 to start that dwindled to 5 when we got to Apache gap (not too bad this year) and day two there were 4 of us that Grizzzly showed a new route to connect with Palomas gap, plus we have tracks to connect on the east side of the river from T or C down to Caballo lake (which was actually pretty easy and fun, probably not so much if the water was high).

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:39:23 PM »
Yeah looks like you guys had a good time .  Grizzzly a good guy too that knows alot of the area .  I forgot that you were on that ride a few yrs back .
2014 WR450F - Plated

buls4evr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 07:33:26 AM »
   I understand Georges philosophy on these organized rides. They generally have way too many riders in big groups and end up being a dust bowl. About 5 riders max is perfect for me. I also like to know what kind of riders I am with. Not a big fan of newbies riding over their heads or people who never do bike prep until their bike breaks on the trail. I also don't like to play the pay to ride thing. I can find a trail and use the $$$ for gas instead of entry fees. Just not a beer groupie like many with that herd instinct I guess.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 06:02:29 PM »
Heads Up!!!

I've pretty much made the decision to let this experiment, known as NM Tracks, end. I just don't see the sense it letting it continue when the Google Communities can perform the same function for the majority of things that happen here and it works better in some respects. If someone else wants to take over the site and do the management aspects that's fine too, but aside that happening sometime in July it will cease. Send me an email if you are interested. There isn't a whole lot to running it and I can help out if needed.

If there is any content that you want to save, like your ride reports, now is the time to copy it.

I want to thank all of you who threw your support into the site. Don't forget, there is a google community that you can use if you wish Southwest Tracks https://plus.google.com/communities/102193627257743343305

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »
I agree...I think it's time. Nobody really posts much to this site.  It's been good and you've done a great job.  Maybe it's just run it's course.... :'(
2014 WR450F - Plated

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
Oh well, not a big deal. When NM dual sports took a dump it seemed like there might be a need to replace it but even that site struggled to get people to regularly contribute with only 4-5 people doing 90% of the posts. I guess New Mexicans are the riding type and not the talking type! :P

ditch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 07:49:14 AM »
Many people seem to divide up there time between lot's of different things. Some of the old site people are using the facebook page and didn't migrate here, plus most if not all of us use advrider, too.
Enjoyed the benefits of your work Jethro and will keep an eye on the google page.
Hope to see you on the trails!
I've been spending most of my time riding trials lately (next event May 7th in Gallup) so haven't even had my KTM out since last fall, a sad state indeed. Where is that winning lottery ticket so I can quit work?
Wendell