Author Topic: ridin gear  (Read 4371 times)

rimtrail105

• View Profile
ridin gear
« on: November 04, 2013, 07:28:56 PM »
After tryin all kinds of boots,and a small fortune, i have bought some hipoint boots like i used to wear 40 years ago.They are the ones that have buckles that hold them on very well.The boots have sandwhich leather on ankle and calf areas that have plastic supports inside.The new style boots selling these days have so much plastic outside now that doesn't let you feel the shifter or brake,and forget about walkin in them.I had gone back to using a hitop hiking boot but i did'nt really feel like i was getting foot and ankle protection.Now i enjoy riding more with these old hipoints.Found them on ebay in the vintage motocross section.If you are interested in comfortable boots with good protection check out metro racing.com

rimtrail105

rimtrail105

• View Profile
Re: ridin gear
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
I wear an open face helmet,always have ,always will.Yes.i have busted my lips and  bopped my nose.I did try a full face helmet once in a baja 1000 race.My ridin partners both got injured in preride getoffs 4 days before the race day.That left me to ride the entire event.With rider of record starting race and giving me the bike 200 yards into the race.i rode the 690 miles to the finish.At one of the Honda pits at about 400 miles out i decided i could not use the closed face helmet anymore.While the guys were filling gas.checkin oil.and puttin new tires with wheels on i asked if they had any open face helmets.They told me no,but they had a hacksaw laughinly. I hacked off both sides of the front of the helmet and happily rode the next 14 hours. No i won"t wear one.
Rimtrail105
rimtrail105

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
I have a favorite set of soft dual sport boots that I just bought.  They are the Forma Adventure Boots.  They are awesomely soft leather and waterproof...not like frankenstein either.
2014 WR450F - Plated

rimtrail105

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »
Yeah ,those boots look good.may have to get serious about them.One more thing ,i am using a dick burleson butt bag that was last sold in 1979.It is a leather roll type tool bag with leather belt that i use while riding my 200 xr.holds 1 21 inch tube and tools enough to  do light repairs.
rt105
rimtrail105

buls4evr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 04:42:35 AM »
  BUMP.... To the modern era....  I use Novogar Rage trials boots which are protective AND let you walk in them. MX helmet for me with Oakley goggles and quick straps. Large combo Hydration and tool pack from Camelback, a Lobo, (rather appropo). I like Fox MX pants with Under Armor for warmth and a DDX gortex hunting liner under my enduro jkt. Fox MX gloves in hot weather and Bilt explorer discoverys with Burton glove liners in cold weather. A balaclava or handkerchief keeps the head or neck warm and dust out. HF roofing knee protectors are under the MX pants and over long pro-forma socks from Fox. I also use a roll type neck brace /protector.

AtomicGeo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 07:46:47 AM »
  BUMP.... To the modern era....  I use Novogar Rage trials boots which are protective AND let you walk in them. MX helmet for me with Oakley goggles and quick straps. Large combo Hydration and tool pack from Camelback, a Lobo, (rather appropo). I like Fox MX pants with Under Armor for warmth and a DDX gortex hunting liner under my enduro jkt. Fox MX gloves in hot weather and Bilt explorer discoverys with Burton glove liners in cold weather. A balaclava or handkerchief keeps the head or neck warm and dust out. HF roofing knee protectors are under the MX pants and over long pro-forma socks from Fox. I also use a roll type neck brace /protector.

Those boots don't look like they have toe protection... ???

For the cold weather I just got a small xmas gift - kilm balaclava.

2014 WR450F - Plated

mdsnitc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 05:25:45 AM »
  I use Novogar Rage trials boots

The guy I ride with used his Trials boots last season and broke his toes at Cedro...  YMMV.   :o

daveden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »
I have a favorite set of soft dual sport boots that I just bought.  They are the Forma Adventure Boots.  They are awesomely soft leather and waterproof...not like frankenstein either.

Is there a local source for the forma boots?  I had a pair of mx boots that I finally sold on ebay because they were to  stiff for me.  I have been riding with my vasque hiking boots.  I love them but not as much protection as I would like.  If you ordered your boots, are they true to size?
09 WR250R

ditch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »
I've been wearing Sidi Discovery Rain boots for some time and they work really well and you can walk in them after they break in. Not as much protection as some, but more than others plus my feet don't get wet when riding the Monticello box. ;) The soles are starting to look a bit ragged from the teeth on the foot pegs so I may try the Sidi Adventure boot as a replacement. They are supposed to have a bit more protection. Just wish they were a bit cheaper since I am a tight ass.